Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme

If you suffer injuries as a result of a crime you may be entitled to compensation for medical and out-of-pocket expenses, including loss of earnings. The expenses or loss of earnings must be a direct result of a violent crime. To qualify for the scheme, the crime must be reported to the Gardaí. An application can be made directly to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (CICT).

Applications must be submitted within 3-months of the incident, so it is important not to delay. If you miss the deadline, you can still apply but the Scheme can decide not to review your claim.

An application can be found here CICT Application. If you do not have a printer, you can ring us at 116 006 to request an application be posted to you.

Additional information can be found at the CICT website or by contacting them at the below.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal,
Department of Justice,
Bishop’s Square,
Redmond’s Hill,
Dublin 2,
D02 TD99,
01 479 0290

Compensation from the Offender

If the case goes to court and if someone is found guilty of the offence it may be part of the judge’s direction that compensation is paid to you by the offender.  If the person does not have any means to pay compensation, it is unlikely that such an order would be made by the judge.


If you are insured, your insurance company may compensate you for loss or damage to insured property, but you may have to pay an increased insurance charge because of your claim.

Uninsured Driver

If you are involved in a collision caused by an uninsured or unknown driver, you may be compensated for the cost of repairs to your vehicle through the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland (MIBI). More information can be found on their website.

Civil Claim

If you know who harmed you, it is possible to file a claim against them in civil court. This is a process that is separate from any actions taken by the Gardaí, the DPP, or any other entity in the Criminal Justice System. To take civil action, you need to receive legal advice and hire (and pay for) your own solicitor. Initial free legal advice can be obtained through the Free Legal Advice Centre.

Get Help Now

The Crime Victims Helpline is a listening and support service for victims of crime in Ireland. We provide time and space for victims to talk about their experiences. We also answer questions about the criminal justice system and help victims understand their rights.

Support Services

If you or a friend or family member has been impacted by crime, there are a number of organization in Ireland who can help.